Statistics show that the US crime rates continue to drop, with an all-time 40-year low in 2010. Experts say that the major reasons for the decline are better policing, a favorable change in perspective and the installation of home security devices.
Homeowners play an important role in lowering crime rates. They have actually deterred thieves and other types of criminals from entering their homes by installing home security systems. Some of the most sought-after devices are home security cameras. These devices come in a wide variety of shapes, colors and sizes, but they generally fall under two categories: wired and wireless.
Wireless or Wired?
If you are considering buying a home security camera system, chances are, you are caught between the wired and the wireless. Which one is better? Which one should you choose? Which one will best suit you and or your family’s needs?
Of course, the best security cameras for you are the ones that do the most while being the easiest to operate. What do you intend to use it for? Do you wish to use it as a spy camera to check on how your new nanny is treating your baby once you are out of sight? Or do you want to know who frequents your home while you are away?
Below is a comparison of wired and wireless cameras to help you decide.
Among the pros that these cameras can offer are:
- Ease of installation. Wireless cameras are very easy to install. They do not need lengthy cables to connect to the monitoring area. At most, they only have a few inches of wire that needs no technical knowledge to install.
- Convenience. Since these cameras are practically wireless, they can be moved from one place to another in no time at all. This is especially true for hidden cameras like nanny spy cams or those cute varieties which come in the form of cans, watches, toys, and so on. Some units can be configured and operated via Smartphone’s that enable homeowners to view their homes even when they’re thousands of miles away.
- Aesthetics. As mentioned earlier, these cameras are available in different styles and designs that can complement any area of your home. You can even have them customized according to your design or décor at home.
- Affordability. The price range for this type of camera goes anywhere from $5 to a thousand bucks, depending on the clarity of the camera and the technologies involved.
- Precision. Technology has made it possible for these wireless gadgets to support HD images.
On the other hand, the cons of these cameras are:
- Safety. Safety is the primary reason why most people buy security cameras. However, this is where most of these cameras fail. They are vulnerable to hacking. Of course, password or code changes can be done periodically, but wouldn’t that be inconvenient?
- Susceptibility to interference. Thick walls, weather conditions, cell phones, power lines can all affect the performance of these cameras.
Wired Security Cameras
The pros of these cameras are:
- Safety. Wired cameras are generally safer than wireless ones because they do not rely on signals or internet connections to function. Thus, there’s no risk of your data being hacked or remotely manipulated by criminals or pranksters.
- Steady performance. Wired cameras are not affected by interference so you can rest assured that you get uninterrupted audio and video all the time, even in areas with improper lighting.
- Aesthetics. Properly installed, wired cameras can exude an air of quiet elegance. Their sleek and smooth appearance can complement the interiors of any room.
- Precision. Modern wired cameras now boast of high video quality that can cover up hundreds of feet or even meters when used with the right cable.
Of course, these cameras have cons too. They are:
- Expensive. Quality wired cameras have price ranges of a couple of hundred dollars to several thousand.
- Require professional installation. Yes, with these cameras, you will need a licensed electrician. He can install the wirings properly and conceal them not only to lend visual appeal but also to prevent tripping accidents. And since the wires are stapled in place, moving the security camera from one place to another becomes harder.
Be one of the homeowners who have secured their homes from wrongdoers by installing security cameras. For the optimum performance of your cameras, make sure that you get the services of a licensed electrician.